Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Garden Update

This post will be a bit long.  I tried to take some pictures of all of the main areas.  We are working to plant fruit trees around the yard but that is a work in progress right now.  This covers the main garden which consists of raised beds.  It is easier to cover those to keep the chickens (and now Toby) from digging.



The raspberry plants have grown and spread this year.  After having so many of them crushed last year by the pecan limbs, I am hoping for a good harvest this year.


I had some chamomile sprout from seeds that dropped last year.  It came up sporadically so I tossed out some more seeds over the weekend.


I had two eggplants sprout back out from last year.  I was really surprised since it was colder than normal plus we got snow.  They are small but will provide me with a later harvest.


This is one of my new beds.  I had very little luck starting seeds inside this year.  I only ended up with two tomato plants which are in the back left corner.  The other plants were given to me.  I have several tomatoes, eggplant, and a few peppers.


I decided to plant some seeds directly into the soil.  I have a long growing season so this is not a problem.  I have piles and piles of small tomato and pepper seedlings.


The bee balm gets a bit bigger each year.  This bed is one of the oldest.  I expect by next year to just do away with the boards and let the bee balm grow.


These onion plants grew from the bottoms of green onions purchased from the grocery store.  I am hoping they will drop their seeds mostly inside the bed so I can get some more onions.


One of the beds we plan to do away with this year is full of marigold plants.  I have been giving them away but have not made much of a dent at all.




My new herb beds which I absolutely love.  I moved some plants which look a bit sad but are doing better now.  I love the set up and am excited for them to fill in.  Having fresh herbs in the garden for cooking is wonderful!


My purple potatoes have grown well.  They are getting higher than the containers so we added wire and have been filling them with hay.


My bay tree is putting on new growth. 


Once we get the loquat trees (on the left) planted, I can plant the kiwi plants.  They are growing well and seem to like the area where we set them.  I think that is where we will plant them. 


I went through all of my old seeds (3-4 years old).  I decided to just plant them all and see what comes up.  I have two containers with tomato and pepper seeds.  I planted the pumpkin seeds in the compost pile.  I planted herb seeds in marked containers.  Time will tell what if anything sprouts.

Are you growing a garden this year?  Have you gotten started or is it too early where you live?

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

Your garden looks amazing!
Jeff has a garden and has also planted purple potatoes, and some regular varieties and his are in planters and he’s adding soil as they grow.
We got a late start with a later than usual freeze.
Jeff has fun with it and I count that as a huge plus and blessing.