Saturday, May 19, 2018

Weekend Book Reviews


Shot in the Dark by Cleo Coyle is the seventeenth book in the Coffeehouse Mystery series.  Claire is the manager of Village Blend, which is the new dating hotspot thanks to a dating app.  When the coffeehouse is the scene of a hookup gone wrong, Claire struggles to save the Village Blend.  I struggled to get into the storyline.  I did enjoy the mystery portion of the book, but I suppose I have been married for too long to be fascinated by the dating app plot.  This is more of a personal issue than anything wrong with the book.


Jane Willan's first book in the Sister Agatha and Father Selwyn Mystery series is The Shadow of Death.  Sister Agatha is a mystery writing nun living in Wales.  When Jacob, the church caretaker, is found dead in the Abbey's cheese aging room, Sister Agatha is the only one who believes it is murder.  Once the strange events at the Abbey start piling up, Sister Agatha plans to use her mystery novel skills to solve the murder.  I adored Sister Agatha, Father Selwyn, and all of the nuns at the Abbey.  The book was full of action as it had a side storyline in addition to introducing all of the characters.  I am already looking forward to the second book!


 Lord of the Pies by Nell Hampton is the second book in the Kensington Palace Chef Mystery series.  Carrie Ann is the personal chef to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.  She is put in charge of a bridal shower but must borrow another chef's kitchen.  She leaves a pie as a thank you, but becomes a suspect when a waiter is found dead in the pie.  When other chefs are poisoned, she sets out to clear her name before she becomes the next victim.  I enjoy the royal setting, and all of the characters in this series.  I read the previous book in the series.  While I highly recommend it, it is not necessary to enjoy this particular book.  This is a fun twist on the typical cozy mystery, and I look forward to more from the series.

disclosure:  I received these e-books through NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: