Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Garden Update

We continue to get rain, rain, and more rain here.  First it was just from some storm system and then it has been from Alberto.  Rain is good but too much can be a problem.  For my little garden it mostly means dropped blossoms from the tomato plants and some things not growing quite as well.  For the local farmers in a few fields, it is the danger of losing crops.  We take what we get though.




The largest pumpkin vine in the compost pile is starting to bloom.  I keep turning it away from the main garden area and will run it toward the front part of our property.


This week was all about moving things to take advantage of the cooler temperatures and rain.




I moved marigolds along the side of the pheasant and turkey pens.  These were free to me but would have cost more than $200 if I had purchased plants.  This is just a small section of what I planted. 




I moved the marigolds from this bed giving me space to transplant some tomato plants.




The tomato plants were mystery ones that came from this pot.  I chose the largest ones to give the others a chance to grow.




Cucamelons


I had nematodes get into the cantaloupes and ruin one-fourth of the plants.  I planted a few marigolds and seem to have stopped them in their tracks.  The other plants are doing well.


Tomatoes that formed before the rains. 


Hibiscus


Celosia



Lemon and Blooms on the largest lemon tree we set out


Mystery Citrus (to the left of the stick)


Pomegranate


Kiwi



We chose a good year to plant the fruit trees.  Normally I would need to be out there twice a day watering.  Instead I have watered them twice since we planted them and that was right after planting.  All are putting on new growth.  I do need to take some time to weed around them later this week.  

No comments: