Sunday, June 24, 2018

Weekend Book Reviews

On the Hook by Betty Hechtman is the twelfth book in the Crochet Mystery series.  This was the first book in the series I read, but I had no problem following along with the characters.  Molly and the other members of her crochet group, the Hookers, are crocheting baby blankets for charity.  One member of the group has gotten her real estate license and is anxious to show a house to another member.  Unfortunately the house comes with a dead body.  Molly leaves her scarf while making a quick exit and becomes the main suspect.  I enjoyed the crochet aspect of the book as well as all of the characters.  I guessed the killer early on, but I enjoyed the book enough that I did not mind.

Kaitlyn Dunnett's Crime and Punctuation is the first book in the Deadly Edits series.  Sixty-something Mikki has returned to her childhood home.  In order to pay for the renovations and supplement her income, she begins editing manuscripts.  She is approached by Tiffany who has never let anyone else read her completed novel.  Mikki's new job comes to a complete halt when her newest client is found murdered.  Mikki is pulled into the mystery when she becomes a target herself.  While I did guess the killer before it was revealed, the mystery was still strong.  The cover was so clever and drew me toward the book.  The story moved along well for the start of a series, and I look forward to the characters' growth as the series progresses.  

disclosure:  I received these books through NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews. All opinions are my own!

No comments: