Sunday, March 1, 2009

Birthday Party

I do not have all of my receipts handy, but I did spend all of my $200 grocery budget for February. The last of it went to DH's birthday dinner which was last night. I took a bit of money out of entertainment to cover the rest of the meal. I fed 8 adults and two children in our teeny, tiny house. My MIL provided the ham, and I spent about $25 on the rest. The rest of the meal included:

potato salad (potatoes bought on sale about 2 weeks ago)
salad (on sale last week)
macaroni & cheese (cheese on sale last week)
butterbeans (from freezer)
squash (from freezer)
homemade rolls
chocolate mousse
angel food cake with fresh strawberries and real whipped cream

I would have done the ham since that was on sale last week also, but my MIL insisted. Dh took the leftover ham to work and a coworker bought bread. They all had lunch. My parents ate leftovers with me after church. I am cooking some chicken to go with the remainders of the leftovers for tonight's meal. Whew! We ended up feeding quite a bit of people. That was much better than the cost of a meal out for all of us last night.

Dh's gifts from me were all used video games from his wish list along with a used James Bond movie. The first thing he asked was did I pay more for the games than he would have. Of course, I told him no which was the truth. It is nice to have a frugal minded (most of the time) husband!

No comments: