Thursday, March 5, 2009

Month of Savings - Day 5

Increasing savings does not mean you need to increase your earnings. I focus on trying to living within or below our means. One area of the budget I try to keep under control is our electric bill. We do use CFLs in the rooms we spend the most of the time in. I shut my computer down at night.

A big money saver at my house is very (very) rarely using the dryer. I hang out all of my laundry outside if possible. Some days that means I forego doing a load if the weather is rainy. I do plan in advance so I am not behind on laundry during those days. Good clothes often get hung on a drying rack inside. Some nights I will hang clothes by the wood heater before I go to bed. I wake to dry clothes. Yes, it takes a little longer than throwing everything into my dryer but not much. I actually enjoy that chore and especially enjoy not having a higher than necessary electric bill.

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

Hi Dawn,
I am enjoying your month of savings posts.
To save on electricity, I also unplug unused appliances. I saw a news report and they called them "vampire" electronics because some of the use quite a bit power even when not turned on.