Sunday, March 1, 2009

Month of Savings - Day 1

In order to encourage myself to do better with blogging this month, I am doing a month of savings. I am going to share 31 money smart ideas. Some most people already do, but I hope to come up with a few creative ideas.

When giving a gift consider if your recipient would be happy with a used or refurbished gift especially with dvds, video games, or electronics. This might be a bit drastic for some, but in my family it goes over well. I do ask in advance. For example I drew my cousin's dh's name for Christmas, and he wanted DVDs. I told him I could get him one new one or four used ones. He opted for four previously viewed ones. My teenage cousin wanted an MP3 player one year. I got him a refurbished iPod for less than a plain MP3 player. He was thrilled to have an iPod. Only the package gave away that it was refurbished. A couple of Christmases later he upgraded to a bigger iPod and picked out another refurbished one as he could get more for his money that way. My niece and nephew both got refurbished MP3 players for Christmas. As posted earlier my Dh got 3 used video games and a used dvd. I could have purchased one of the video games new and have more in it than the four items he got. I also know that it will take him about a week to "beat" each game and he will be done with them.

Buying this way has allowed me to give more without blowing my budget. Shop around to get the best deal. Apple has a section for refurbished products. See it under "Special Deals" toward the bottom lefthand side of the page. Amazon and Ebay are also great places to find used DVDs and video games. I know this is not for everyone as many people would be insulted by a "used" gift. Choose your recipients well, and this could be a money saving idea that works for you.

No comments: