Sunday, March 15, 2009

Month of Savings - Day 15

Yard Sale Finds!

Yard sales can be great money saving shopping. Keep a list of what you are looking for and a budget in mind. Before asking a price on an item, I always have a price in my mind that I am willing to pay. I am also willing to walk away if I cannot negotiate the price to within my range.

Friday was the start of a big annual Peaches to Beaches yard sale in my area. I save my money up each year in anticipation of finding a few good buys. I was a little disappointed in the turnout of sellers this year. I might have bought more but did not find what I was searching for this year. I also keep my eye out for any hidden treasures. Here are the items that I did find.
All of these items were hidden treasures. First is the divided tray with a removable dip bowl in the center. It was in good condition and was only $1. Next in back is the Brita water pitcher. Dh actually found this one, which was new in the box. He negotiated the price to $3. Finally is the Salad Shooter. I had one that I purchased at the Salvation Army years ago, but the battery died. This one is electric and had the original paperwork. It looks barely used and was also $3.

Normally I get a bunch more books than this. I know that borrowing books from the library would be more frugal, but I love books. My library also does not have many of the authors that I enjoy reading. I also picked up the DVD for $2 to add to our collection. Most sellers were asking $8-$10 for their used DVDs. Ouch! The hardback books were from a church sale. The asking price was 20 cents each, but I gave them more money since it was going toward their new social hall.

This cross-stitch pattern book was on 50 cents! It has lots of fun ideas. I especially liked the cross-stitched socks with a little design on the cuff. I never thought of doing this, but I plan to give it a try very soon.

I saw this purse two years ago at a gift shop for close to $30 if my memory is correct. I thought it was so unusual, but it was definitely out of my price range. I am thinking the gift shop went out of business as this was among several in a person's yard. I could not resist. This was my most expensive purchase at $10.

Dh and I had a fun day even if we did not buy much. My friend, Terri, of PennyAnnPoundwise started at the opposite end of the yard sale route. We did not meet along the way as I gave up long before I got to her area. Check her blog to see what treasures she found.

2 comments:

Rhonda said...

Salad shooters are great! I have worn out 2 of them. They are esp. good for grating cheese and carrots.

You've reminded me to put one my garage sale wish list for this spring.

Susan in SC said...

nice finds at the yard sales!