Saturday, March 28, 2009

Month of Savings - Day 28

Say no to disposable! For over a year we have been using cloth napkins. I tried sewing some and it did not work out. Instead I bought a bunch at Walmart on clearance. We also very rarely use paper plates. I have several packs of Chinet purchased on sale, and they should last a long time. My next step is to cut back on paper towels. Dh brought home a bunch of cloth rags that were going to be thrown out. There was absolutely nothing wrong with them, but they were headed for the landfill. It is a common occurrence in our disposable society. I am working to use the rags more and less paper towels. My end goal would be to completely do away with paper towels.

Yes, it takes a few more minutes to wash a couple of plates or cups. I have a load of rags every couple of weeks. It takes a little longer to hang out the napkins than it does to toss one in the trash. The money savings might not be overwhelming. (I still wonder where those Shamwow people found anyone spending $20 a month on paper towels.) I know it does add up. Plus I am doing a little more for the environment in the process.

No comments: