Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Month of Savings - Day 10

Ah computer issues! A day late but here it is. We love French fries. Unfortunately with dh's health issues and my family history the fry part of French fries is not good. Bought on sale potatoes are a good bargain. I tried to do baked fries but they always turned out mushy. I wanted that crunch. Here is my Baked French Fry recipe.

Scrub clean as many potatoes as you need. I do not peel the potatoes. I just slice them up to the size we like. Put the potato strips in a bowl and sprinkle with a good bit of salt. Cover with water and soak for at least 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Drain, rinse, and pat dry the potatoes. Put back in bowl and cover with olive oil. Toss. Sprinkle with whatever seasonings you like. I do not add salt since the potatoes soaked up some plus we are trying to cut back on that. I use black pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. Spread out in an even layer on one (or two depending on how many potatoes you have) baking sheet. Give them a good stir every ten minutes and bake for about 30 minutes. They should be crisp and practically as good as fried.

Lately we have been been pairing these potatoes with SeaPak shrimp bought on sale for 32 cents and slaw made from the cabbages in our garden. That makes for a good but cheap meal for the two of us!

No comments: