Monday, March 30, 2009

Month of Savings - Day 30

Today's money saving tip is to grow a garden. If you want to be even more budget conscientious, start your plants from seed. I am blessed to have a greenhouse where my potted plants can spend the winter and my spring seeds can get a head start. On the subject of seeds... if you do not use all of the seeds one season, do not toss them out. Put the packets in a zip top baggie and store them in your refrigerator. Most of the seeds I used this year are 1-2 seasons old. I have had good germination and sprouting on all of them. I gave myself a challenge to grow everything from seed this year that included all of my flowers.

Here are a few of my seedlings. I have tomatoes, basil, peppers, mesclun , popcorn, cucumbers, zucchini, yellow squash, and mums left from last year.

This is watermelons, herbs, tomatoes, larger lettuce plants, and lots of flowers.

I adore ferns. They are easy to grow and can be divided each year into more plants. These Japanese painted ferns started out as one plant that I bought for $6 at Lowe's last year. Now I have two plants not counting the one I can to my mom.

These are aloe plants. I started out with two pots that were long past needing to be repotted. I ended up with about 30 pots of aloe. I am hoping to sell some of these at the yard sale.

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

Dawn, they look great!

I just got my seeds started today and it won't be safe from the last freezer until May 1st here. So mine should have plenty of time to get started before then.