Thursday, March 12, 2009

Month of Savings - Day 12

I suppose the topic of this post would be saving so you can give. I have had a few people think that living on a budget or below ones means equals being stingy and not giving back. By shopping smart dh and I can actually afford to give more. One example is with the Operation Christmas Child (OCC) boxes. We stock up on toothpaste, toothbrushes, and those great Johnson's Buddies soap throughout the year to include in shoe boxes.

Today's find for shoe boxes was 10 cent knit gloves and hats at Dollar General. These are perfect additions for a shoebox. Another thing I look for is the summer toy markdowns. Last year I included inflatable beach balls. It was a simple way to send a big ball and make it fit in a shoebox. Shop throughout the year to keep your giving in your budget and be able to give more. If I have an overflow of CVS extra bucks and need to pick up something, I check the $1 section for things to include in a shoebox such as socks or a solar calculator. School supply items are always, always, always purchased at the back to school sales. I look for small stuffed animals after Christmas, Valentine's, or Easter.

Last year my pastor asked what it cost to put together a shoebox. I told him that I usually had less than $5 in each box (not counting shipping). I keep Operation Christmas Child in my mind throughout the year to be able to fill a box cheaply. If you fill OCC boxes, keep an eye out for bargains over the coming months so you do not have to pay full price for items in December.

2 comments:

Susan in SC said...

What great tips for this wonderful project! I will start now for my boxes next year. Do you keep all the items in one place until time to make the shoe boxes?

Dawn said...

Susan, yes, I put all of the items in a big box or several bags. Around October I pull the items out and see what I am lacking. Usually it is very little so it is not a big hit to my budget.