Friday, March 27, 2009

Month of Savings - Days 22-26

This has been a crazy month. Between working in the yard, helping dh with his new groundskeeping duties, and general household stuff, I have barely been near the computer. I refuse to skip out on sharing 31 saving ideas though.

22. Make friends with the store staff. I was in Walgreens last week and was alerted to a clearance sale on chewing gum by one of my favorite employees. No one had gotten around to marking the price yet. I was able to stock up on the sugar-free gum dh chews. When you get good service at a store, email the company or tell the manager. Those 1-800 numbers are not just for complaints.

23. Plan ahead. Being organized is a great savings tool. I have been watching the approaching rain all week. With this is mind I washed as many clothes as possible so I could hang them out. I am only left with one load (socks) that will have to be dried. These dry quickly though. I washed jeans and towels which take much longer to dry earlier in the week.

24. Make your own laundry soap. I use the recipe provided by the Dugger family. It cleans my husband's dirty work clothes. It works great and is just as good (if not better) than the purchased soap. The best part is that is it a fraction of the price.

25. Choose a cheaper alternative to fabric softener. I was doing this before visiting the Dugger website, but it is listed on there also. I use vinegar as fabric softener. I prefer to use more natural products when possible. Vinegar makes clothes just as soft for less money spent.

26. Learn to Do It Yourself. I know not everyone is handy, but I am blessed to have a handy husband. This week he has installed a new kitchen faucet and fixed the ice maker on our refrigerator. Our old faucet was beyond repair. The parts for the ice maker cost $2.25. We will not talk about the mess behind the fridge when he pulled it out to fix the ice maker.

No comments: