Saturday, March 14, 2009

Month of Savings - Day 14

I hope you all will be patient for another day for my yard sale treasures. I have not gotten around to taking pictures of everything yet.

As a substitute savings idea for today, use what you have! This applies to most areas of my life. I try to use the craft supplies I have before buying more. I look in my closet before heading out to buy clothes. I am especially trying to use what I have in the pantry and freezer.

Tonight's meal was chicken enchiladas, Spanish rice, and peach crisp. I did buy some tortillas for dh to make quesadillas with and used some of those for this meal. The chicken, soup, green chilies, and cheese were all items I had on hand. For the Spanish rice I used onion, bell pepper (freezer), brown rice, ketchup (substituted for tomato paste), and some spices. The peach crisp was a way to use up three peaches getting mushy in the fridge. I also used some granola cereal that was not quite enough for a bowl full.

From time to time it is good to do a pantry/freezer challenge. My goal is to omit a big shop for this month. I am only buying fresh items or things that are too good of a sale to pass up. Stockpiling is silly if you let things go bad before using them.

No comments: