Wednesday, March 22, 2017

In the Garden

Brrr!  Last week we had a low one night of 25 degrees.  That is a January low and not a March low especially when the highs in February were in the 80s.  I knew we would have damage from the frost, but it was not as bad as I expected.  Here is the fig tree.


This is the same fig tree.


That seems to be the way the frost damage went.  It was hit and miss.  I think the only thing it got completely was the mulberry tree.  It is a male tree so we never have fruit, but it might affect our neighbor's tree which is a female and does fruit.

The temperatures are warm once again.  I have been very busy in the garden so far this week.


I am planting herbs around parts of the chicken house.  I have mints, oregano, thyme, and lemon balm.  The chickens do not seem to be bothering them - yet.


I weeded all of the raspberry beds.


I planted pineapple sage.  These are pieces cut from my mom's plants.  Her's sprouted back out and spread from last year.


I also set the bee hive back up.  I cleaned it out well and am hoping some bees looking for a home will move in.  I plan to buy some bees once we have more bee -friendly plants spread around the property.  In the meantime I will not turn down a swarm of homeless bees.

I still have so much left to do, but I am making progress.  I would love to plant more, but I do not trust the weather until closer to Easter.

No comments: