Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Yard Sale Finds

This past weekend was the annual Peaches to Beaches Yard Sale.  I had a very short list of things I was looking to buy.  Moving was still fresh in my mind so I did not want to add unnecessary items to the house.  One thing I wanted was a rice cooker. My old one quit working.  The last one did not allow me to add any seasonings to the rice while cooking so I wanted a different style.


This one came with everything except the book which was easily found online.  I paid $5.  I use a rice cooker more for steaming eggs than cooking rice.  Fresh hard boiled eggs do not peel properly while steamed ones do.

My other main purchase was herb plants.  I had looked at a big box garden center so I knew the sizes and prices.  Two nurseries normally set up each year, and this year was no different.  I bought three types of mint, sage, oregano, thyme, and lavender.  The plants were large and healthy and only $4 each.



I purchased a few exercise DVDs for $0.50 each and a Ninetendo 3DS for $1.  I am borrowing a charger from a friend's son to see if the 3DS even works.  If it does, that will be a good buy.

My main planned purchases were items for the shoeboxes.  We found some good bargains on stuffed animals and toy cars.  Some people gave us items for free, and others offered deep discounts.  One man was selling beanie babies for $1 each.  When I said that was too much for me since I planned to use them for Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes, he lowered the price to $0.25 each.  I bought 80 from him.  Another woman sold beanie babies to us for $0.10 each, and we bought 50 from her.  These were wonderful blessings since I am on a tight budget this year.  I do not have pictures since my mom quickly packed away everything.  

It is always a bit of a treasure hunt, and the weather tends to be iffy.  The weather was good this year, and we had fun.  I was happy with each of my purchases.  All in all it was a good weekend!

No comments: