Sunday, March 19, 2017

Weekend Book Reviews

Zip It by Karen Ehman is a 40 day devotional subtitled The Keep It Shut 40-Day Challenge.  Each day's reading contains Bible verses relating to what to say or not say in our daily lives.  Words can be extremely powerful for good or bad.  Mrs. Ehman's devotionals are kind but direct reminders of using words and silence for good.  I liked the layout and how devotionals were divided by topic.  This book definitely made me think about how my words affect others.  It is an excellent individual devotional but would work well for a group study also.

Eve Schaub's Year of No Clutter is a memoir of Eve's battle with her clutter.  I wanted to like this book.  Eve's writing style  is a bit like her home - messy.  She took a long time to get started, and I am not certain that she really accomplished anything.  It is important to remember this is a memoir and not a self-help book.  The book is light on substance but did make me want to declutter my own home.

Bitter Harvest by Wendy Tyson is book two in the Greenhouse Mystery series.  This is a wonderful follow up to the first book, but it easily stands on its own.  Megan's town is hosting a big Oktoberfest meant to bring attention to the small town charm of Winsome.  The celebration is threatened when bodies start piling up.  The mystery is strong as are the characters.  Of course, I still love the gardening theme.  I am always happy when a series remains strong.  I look forward to many more books from Ms. Tyson!

disclosure:  I received these e-books from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: