Sunday, January 12, 2020

Sunday Book Reviews

Two Bites Too Many by Debra H Goldstein in the second book in the Sarah Blair Mystery series.  Sarah has settled into her new home with her inherited cat RahRah while continuing to work as the receptionist at a law firm.  Her mom, Maybelle, drags her to the bank to fight Sarah's sister's loan request rejection.  When the bank manager is later found murdered, Maybelle is the only suspect.  I enjoy the southern setting but have a bit of trouble connecting to the characters.  I realize it is a fictional book, but I still expect them to act moderately reasonable.  Sarah's sister Emily needed to be sat down for a good talking to over many of her actions.  The mystery was strong.  While I had my suspicions, I was not certain until the very end.

The third book in the Beyond the Page mystery series by Lauren Elliot is Murder in the First Edition.  Addie has donated an 1843 copy of A Christmas Carol to the hospital charity auction.  When Addie stops by the hospital to give the authentication paperwork to Teresa, the woman over the auction, Addie finds Teresa dead and the rare book missing.  The mystery was interesting, but Addie comes close to completely ruining the book.  She refuses to act with any ounce of maturity, and I wondered over and over why the two men interested in her just did not cut their loses and move on.  I am confused by a grown woman who crosses her fingers behind her back when lying.  This is the first book in the series that I have read so I will give it at least one more try.

Christmas Cow Bells by Mollie Cox Bryan is the first book in the Buttermilk Creek Mystery series.  Brynn is beginning her new like at Buttermilk Creek with her three cows and a few new friends.  When her dearest friend, Nancy, dies after her home burns under suspicious circumstances, Nancy cannot help but get involved.  It soon begins to feel as if some of her new neighbors dislike not only Nancy but Brynn as well.  I have mixed feelings about the book.  On one hand it was full of various events from fires to mourning cows.  On the other the actions of the characters were a bit "off".  I get that Brynn was crushed by her husband's betrayal, but I was weary of the whole thing before I got halfway through the book.  I will take into account that this is the first book in the series and will give a second book a try before writing off the series.

disclosure:  I received these e-books through NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: