Friday, August 4, 2017

Frugal Friday

I started this post and kept adding to it, but I never got around to actually scheduling it to post.  This covers about three weeks.

I finally got around to mending some clothing.  Three items needed buttons which I had in my sewing supplies.  Two items needed to be resown at the seams.  I had thread close enough to match both and did this repair using my sewing machine.  Even though I am not a good seamstress, these were all easy repairs.

W and I had bought some fish from a local pet store that did not survive more than a few days.  We returned them within the refund policy time and were able to get some new fish.

We ate at home and ate up all of the leftovers.

I mowed our yard myself twice over two weeks saving at least $200.  Our mower has long ago paid for itself.  Mowing season here lasts from March to October.  The lawn needs mowing at least every two weeks.  This year will all of the rain I have mowed every week.

I had ingredients on hand to make food to give to the neighbor's who lost a family member last month.  It does pay to have a well stocked pantry since we live so far out in the country.

We went out to a local restaurant for my birthday.  I set aside money each year for birthday dinners out.  We rarely eat out so this is a nice treat.  I also got a free piece of cake for my birthday.


I cleaned out the refrigerator and made a big batch of marinara sauce with vegetables.  I use a large can of crushed tomatoes from Sam's ($3.28) as the base.  I added in mushrooms ($1.89) and onions and garlic ($1).  I ended up with 7 containers of sauce for $6.17.  It is packed full of peppers, zucchini, eggplant, and herbs from my garden which were free. 


I used paint that we already had for a project.  W also reused a few more things from the old house on the same project.


The rabbits enjoyed some cucumbers from the garden as well as some vegetable scraps from my mom.  It is always nice to give them a free treat.  Between them and the chickens very little food is every wasted.

I stayed home for the most part except for once a week trips for groceries.  I have also limited my online shopping which saves too.

I used recycled plastic containers for starting my seeds.  I packed W's lunch stuff in reusable containers.  I hung laundry out to dry.  I cleaned my own house rather than hiring it out.  We ate the majority of our meals at home.  Some weeks it is the little things that add up.

No comments: