Sunday, August 20, 2017

Weekend Book Review: The Ghost Ship of Brooklyn

The Ghost Ship of Brooklyn by Robert P Watson deals with a little known part of the American Revolution.  A run down ship, HMS Jersey, was used by the British (along with other ships) to house thousands of war prisoners.  These men were packed into the depths of the ships with little food or water while disease after disease tore through the crowded quarters.  This is not an easy book to read, but I am glad that I read it.  It brings to life the sacrifices that were made for the freedoms we enjoy today.  It also makes me even more embarrassed by how those in Washington are currently behaving.

Mr. Watson did an excellent job in researching the book and telling the stories of these forgotten men.  He shares information about America's beginning and the Revolutionary War.  An important part of history is now brought to the forefront through this book.  I also learned about the Prison Ships Martyrs Memorial in New York state.  I highly recommend this book for anyone interested in history as well as those who want to know more about the cost of freedom.

disclosure:  I received this e-book from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: