Sunday, August 27, 2017

Weekend Book Reviews

Grave Errors by Carol J Perry is book five in the Witch City Mystery series.  Lee and the other residents of Salem, Massachusetts, are gearing up for Halloween.  She and the students in her television production class decide to extend the fun by adding on a Dia de Los Muertos celebration.  One of Lee's students gets the class investigating the death of her sister.  Lee's psychic visions and the investigation leads everyone to realize all is not well in Salem.  I had read a previous book although this one stands on its own.  O'Ryan the cat and Aunt Ibby are my favorite characters.  I particularly enjoyed the discussion of the Day of the Dead celebration.  All of the talk of sugar skull cookies convinced me to order my own set of cookie cutters.    The mystery is full of twists and turns up until the end!

Karen Sue Walker's Murder in Crimson Velvet is the second book in the Bridal Shop Mysteries series.  I had read the first book prior to reading this one.  While it is not necessary, I think it helped me connect to the characters better.   I enjoyed this book even more than the first.  Bridal consultant Max and co-worker Keiko get roped into the finishing the costumes for the community theater's production of Romeo and Juliet.  When the actress playing Juliet reveals that a psychic says she is going to die, Max thinks she is being dramatic until the actress turns up dead.  The characters and story line flow better in this book.  The ending created a nice segue for the next book.

Book three in the Cora Crafts Mystery series by Mollie Cox Bryan, Macrame Murders, finds Cora,  at a craft retreat on Sea Glass Island.  Her friends (Jane, Ruby, and Cashel) and boyfriend Adrian are along for the trip.  The retreat takes a dark turn when first one body and then another turn up at the resort.  Things go from bad to worse when Adrian is named the primary suspect.  Cora's plans for a relaxing retreat take a back seat as she works to find the real killer.  It was nice to see the characters in a new setting.  The mystery features plenty of twists and turn.  The crafts discussed in the book were interesting.  Macrame took center stage, and it piqued my interest in the craft.  I am always happy to find a book that not only is enjoyable to read but also inspires me to try something new!

disclosure:  I received these e-books from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: