Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Weekly Garden Update: Planning for the Fall Garden

Even though summer is in full swing, now is the time to plan for the fall garden.  In my area many spring garden crops are best grown in the fall/winter.  My parents and I split up the fall garden.  They are growing regular cabbage, collards, rutabaga, and broccoli.  I have started seeds for leeks, red cabbage, savoy cabbage, cauliflower, and artichokes.

The leeks are a new crop for me.  I have never grown or even eaten a leek.  The seed package said they started best in cooler temperatures so I am leaving these inside.


I put the remaining seeds in a cage on the front porch.  The cage is to protect them from the free range chickens.  Being on the porch will allow them to get plenty of morning light but protect them from getting drowned when it rains.


I tried growing artichokes before but have learned in my area they are a fall/winter crop.  Hopefully I will have better luck this time, but I expect to need to make adjustments.  Here the peppers and tomatoes will last until our first hard freeze which is normally in January but possibly earlier.  It is not uncommon to be eating fresh tomatoes at Christmas.  I will also direct sow some seeds at the end of September.

No comments: