Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Galaxy Crafts

Last month my church held Vacation Bible School with a galaxy theme.  I signed up to do crafts.  I have children ranging from about two years old to 15 years old.  The toddlers usually do just one craft while the older children/youth do three to four crafts.

The toddlers plus the next two older groups made glow in the dark star art.  I painted basic canvases black and added a Bible verse using a silver marker.  To make my life easier I added glue dots to the back of plastic glow in the dark stars in advance.  You can see the original instructions here.

 

All of the groups except for the two youngest made galaxy bottles.  I did make the bottles for those two groups.  I used bottles that came with safety caps and glued them on as an added pre-caution.  I think my glitter was too large as ours never separated into three levels, but everyone including the teens liked them.  Here is the link to the instructions.



Everyone except for the teens made glow in the dark ornaments.  We used q-tips as the paintbrushes.  I showed them how to make dots but then just let them do whatever they wanted.  I got the idea here, but I changed it a bit to make it easier for a large group.



One of the simplest but most popular crafts was paper rockets.  The printable and instructions can be found here.  I did pre-cut the rockets due to limited time and little hands.



The three older groups made washer necklaces.  I found the instructions here.  The washers and cording were inexpensive, but the alcohol ink was on the pricier side.  It all balanced out.  I had plenty of ink left over and plan to do a bunch of these to include in next year's Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes.  I was happy to see some of the teens wearing their creations the following day.



No comments: