Monday, August 28, 2017

Weekly Goals Update: Week 35

1.  Completely Finish the New House & Update Property
The humidity finally broke here so I worked in the yard.  I spent time cleaning up the garden area and organizing the new storage shed.  We had two storms come through which meant more cleanup.  I have several other things going on this week that will limit my free time.  I am not making any plans and will just see what happens.

2. Plan Ahead for Birthday & Holiday Gifts
I found a gift for the wedding shower.  I have not ordered supplies for the handmade gifts yet.  I did put some extra money into the gift fund.

3.  Use the Garden to Be More Self-Sufficient
The two good rains helped the garden this week.  I hope to pick peppers and put them in the freezer.  I am also going to dehydrate some basil.  I cleaned out two raised beds in preparation for planting the fall garden.

4. Take One Class a Month
Hmmm...those macarons.  I admit that part of the reason I have not made them is fear.  I wish everyone would stop saying how hard they are.  The main reason they did not get done is that we had too many sweets in the house already.  I made oatmeal cookies for a committee meeting and had leftovers.  I had extra chocolate sauce so W requested ice cream to go with that.  Then I made cookies from a cookbook I am reviewing.  I just need to shake off the fear and make the macarons.

5.  Pack Operation Christmas Child Shoeboxes on a Budget
I feel like I hit the jackpot this past week.  Dollar General had a summer clearance.  Some items were 50% off and some were discounted an additional 50%.  I found cups, bowls, balls, hair items, puzzles, stickers, etc.  I do not need all of it for this year so I have a great start on fillers for next year.  I was blessed by some very helpful employees.  I always like to mention that I am shopping for OCC if I am at a store or even a yard sale.  People generally get excited and what to help.

6.  Boost Savings
No word on the mower yet.  At least there were no more surprise expenses this past week.  I came in under budget on groceries so I set the extra aside for another week.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

My daughter is a professional baker and she makes macaroons. Practice is the key. They may not be pretty or the best at first but the more you practice making them the better you will get. You can tell her work at the beginning and how much better at everything she has gotten. I assume you are doing them for fun and to expand your baking knowledge so who cares. Just have fun. Cheryl