Thursday, August 31, 2017

52 New Recipes: Week 35 - Mounds Layer Cake

Last week was Pastor Appreciation Day at my church.  Our pastor loves coconut so when I was debating on what cake to make this one topped the list.  The original recipe is actually an Almond Joy Layer Cake.  We have some people with nut allergies so I omitted the almonds.  Is anyone else singing the jingle?


I expected this cake to be extremely rich.  Surprisingly it was not that sweet.  The coconut icing is sweet, but I just ate it with bites of the chocolate cake to balance everything out.  Not all of the cake was eaten so W took the leftovers to work.  His co-workers have asked for an entire cake all of their own.  Once again Lindsay's cake recipe did not disappoint.

I wanted to do something cute for the table centerpieces.  Our pastor is also a big college football fan.  I was on a tight budget.  I found an idea for growing a wheat grass centerpiece on Pinterest.  I bought foil loaf pans and burlap ribbon from Dollar Tree.  I already had wheat grass seed.  I borrowed some footballs from the Operation Christmas Child Shoebox stuff.



I would have trimmed the wheat grass, but I wanted to give it to the chickens and rabbits after the dinner.  I had $7 in twelve centerpieces/tasty farm animal treats.  I kept the foil pans and am using them to grow more wheat grass for the animals.  I plan to do some sort of Easter centerpiece using the same idea.

No comments: