Saturday, August 19, 2017

Weekend Book Review: Ghost of the Innocent Man

Ghost of the Innocent Man by Benjamin Rachlin is one of the best books I have read this year.  In 1988 Willie Grimes, a man with no violent record, is convicted of raping a 69 year old woman and sentenced to life in prison.  This happened despite the fact several witnesses gave him an alibi for the time of the crime.  During the time he was in prison, the North Carolina Innocence Inquiry Commission (NCIIC) was formed.  This book tells the story of both.  Mr. Rachlin did an excellent job of switching between the two and then combining them into the final resolution of Mr. Grimes' story.
Even though this book saddened and at times frightened me, it is well worth reading.  I was touched my Mr. Grimes' continued push for justice.  I was also hopeful due to the continued work by the NCIIC to seek the truth.  Having a person wrongly imprisoned puts a black spot on the justice system of the United States.  The story was handled with great care to all involved.  I cannot recommend it enough.

disclosure:  I received this e-book from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: