Monday, May 16, 2016

Weekly Savings

This past week was a bit hectic as W was working on orders/repairs in his rod & reel shop.  I was trying to keep up with everything else around the house.

I started some seeds in peat pellets.  These are about 10 cents each when purchased in bulk, and I find I have much better luck with seeds germinating in them.  It is worth the small added expense since it is still cheaper than purchasing plants.

I brought home the bread bowl to feed to the chickens as a treat.

I froze the pieces scooped out of the bread bowl to turn into breadcrumbs later.

I divided lemongrass I purchased earlier this spring.  It grew much more than I expected and was overfilling the top.

I planted two pineapple tops that I had rooted.

I harvested pineapple sage, lemon balm, and mints to use in my herbal teas.

I picked more strawberries from the garden as well as some blackberries.

The tile we wanted for the new house finally went back on sale.  I was waiting for the drop in price to order.  Our patience meant a savings of over $800.  We did opt to have the tile and supplies shipped.  The shipping charges were lower than the wear/tear and cost of us pulling a trailer four hours round trip to pick up everything.

I attended a wedding shower over the weekend.  My mom and I went in together on a gift which was a cake carrier (purchased with a 40% off coupon) which I decorated with vinyl shapes cut out with my Cricut.  I used some leftover pieces of tulle to wrap it.  I also included a scrubbie and dish cloth crocheted with yarn I had on hand.  I took spinach dip (recipe tomorrow) served in a homemade bread bowl.  I used this recipe minus the Parmesan cheese and divided the dough into two pieces.  I baked them for about 30 minutes in two 6 inch cake pans.  It was served with crackers.

No comments: