Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Garden Update

The weather turned hot quick here, and the rain disappeared long enough that I had to water the garden.  I was afraid that we were in for our usual dry summer after all.  Then we got a surprising inch of rain one evening and another inch the next afternoon.  I ended up running out in between showers on the second day to plant those fall garden seeds.


I added bachelor's buttons, zinnias, sunflowers, and cosmos to the bee garden.  I am already growing cosmos, but these should add some different colors.  I finished weeding the bee garden and was happy to see that I had fewer bare spots than expected.  If these seeds sprout, it should be perfectly full.

Some indoor plant news - I finally managed to keep an orchid alive.  I have killed more than I would like to admit.  The only thing different about this orchid is that it is planted in soil rather than bark.


Not only is it alive, but it has new growth including a tiny new leaf.  I am not sure that I can get it to bloom again.  For now I am calling it a victory.

1 comment:

terricheney said...

Dawn this should be fairly easy to get to rebloom. Especially since it is putting on new growth. In summer, I put my orchids outside on the front porch which gets shade but has morning sun. Not direct full on sun on the plants but it is bright. I water once a week. I bring indoors when temperatures start to drop into the low 60's at night. I put them in the kitchen which gets morning sunlight, again not in direct sun but in a bright area. I fertilize with boiled egg water and clean egg shells. Usually they bloom one or two times in the year. Just sunlight really is the key to this plant. Let me know how it goes...