Sunday, July 16, 2017

Weekend Book Reviews

Murder at the Puppy Fest by Laurien Berenson is part of the Melanie Travis Mystery series.  Melanie has her hands full with her children and her pedigree Poodles.  She agrees to volunteer at Puppy Fest, an annual fundraiser for a dog rescue.  Life gets more complicated when she finds the owner of the mansion where the event is being held dead in his office.  The mystery was interesting, but I did not enjoy the time spent on the dog shows.  I adore dogs but everything involved in pedigree dog shows is not for me.  I also found it a little odd that Melanie took her youngest son along when she questioned her suspects.  This is a good book but just not for me.

J.C. Eaton's Booked 4 Murder is the first book in the Sophie Kimball Mystery series.  Sophie/Phee is an accountant for a police department in Minnosota.  Her mother calls asking her to come to Arizona and help her book club with a "cursed" book that causing the deaths of those who read it.  Phee's mother is a handful to put it nicely so Phee has little choice but to give in.  This is a nice start to a new cozy series.  I would like to see Phee become a stronger character and her mother toned down a notch or two.  It has potential, and I look forward to the second book.

disclosure:  I received these e-books from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!


No comments: