Sunday, July 30, 2017

Weekend Book Reviews

A Toast to Murder by Allyson K. Abbott is book five in the Mack's Bar Mysteries series.  This is the first book I have read in the series, and I was not lost at all.  Mack (Mackenzie) owns a bar and has a neurological condition that allows her to experience multiple sensations at once.  For example when someone speaks, she hears as well as sees or tastes their voice.  She and the members of her Capone Club work together to solve mysteries.  In this book that means tracking down a letter writer who is taunting her and targeting her friends.  The story is told entirely by Mack and moves along quickly.  The book is a bit darker than the usual cozy mystery, but I enjoyed it.  The plot was well thought out, and the mystery kept me guessing until the end.

Mary Marks' Knot What You Think is part of the Quilting Mystery series.  I had not read any of the previous books but had no trouble jumping right into this book.  Martha and her fellow quilters discover the body of Dolleen, whose husband had swindled people of their life savings.  Martha plans to steer clear of the investigation until one of her quilting friends becomes the prime suspect.  I enjoyed the focus on friendship and family in this book, and I did not mind the touch of romance thrown in.  This book makes me want to read more of the series!

disclosure:  I received these e-books from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: