Saturday, July 29, 2017

Weekend Book Reviews

Killer Party by Lynn Cahoon is book nine in the Tourist Trap Mystery series.  Jill and her boyfriend, Greg, are getting a staycation in the form of a reunion with Greg's friends at The Castle in South Cove.  Jill is looking forward to the break from her shop, Coffee, Books, & More, before she starts back to college.  When the leader of the group is found dead in the pool, Greg asks Jill to help with the murder investigation.   Balancing that with being back in the real world of running a business all while dealing with her bridezilla Aunt Jackie has Jill running in circles.  This book stands alone.  I did connect to the characters better since I was familiar with the background.  I did figure out who was the killer before the end, but I still enjoyed the book.  Killer Party leaves readers with a bit of a cliffhanger so I am already looking forward to the next installment.

How to Grow More Vegetables, Ninth Edition by John Jeavons promises to help gardeners grow more food on less land.  The book seems to focus on building better soil.  The author is against many things and one of them is the use of manure.  I live in the country and have a never ending supply either from my own animals or my neighbors' animals.  I found some of the information very useful, but nothing that made me excited to have read the book.  I felt like I had stumbled into a trap where the author promised one thing but really only wanted to push the GROW BIOINTENSIVE (always written in all caps) method along with Ecology Action.  Both of these may be worthy things, but they are not the reasons I chose to read the book.  One mention at the beginning would have been sufficient.  The book is not focused on the average backyard gardener that wants to grow food his/her family will eat.

disclosure:  I received these e-books from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: