Saturday, July 1, 2017

Weekend Book Reviews

Recipes from the Herbalist's Kitchen by Brittany Wood Nickerson went onto my wish list as soon as I had the opportunity to preview it.  I have an ever expanding herb garden in my backyard, and this book is the perfect accompaniment.  I was pleased to see information on a variety of herbs than went beyond basic growing instructions.  The recipes were a pleasant bonus.  A yard full of fresh herbs is not advantageous without practical ways to use them.  If you are a fan of growing or using herbs, this is a great book to check out.

Treble at the Jam Fest by Leslie Budewitz is part of the Food Lovers' Village Mystery series.  This book stands on its own and is different from the usual cozy mystery.  It has the cozy mystery elements but is missing a bit of the coziness.  I had a little trouble connecting with the characters and getting into the story.  The writing style was good, and I am unable to pinpoint my exact problem.  Erin runs the family store which stocks all sorts of local food and craft products.  The town is gearing up for a jazz music festival when the headline singer is murdered.  I enjoyed the setting of this book enough that I would read another book in the series before making a final decision on the series.

Fany Gerson's Mexican Ice Cream is a treat.  This book is worth owning for the sorbet section alone.  I made the Spicy Watermelon Sorbet (although I left out the spicy part).  It was delicious and so very easy.  I know I would love the added jalapeno, but half of my taste testers are not spicy food eaters.  As good as the recipes are the stories and background provided in the book are equally valuable.  I will definitely use this book to spice up the next family ice cream party.

disclosure:  I received these e-books from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: