Saturday, July 8, 2017

Weekend Book Reviews

I can always tell how good a cookbook will be by how many recipes I mark on the first pass through.  The Harvest Baker by Ken Haedrich is one of those books.  Offering everything from muffins and quick breads, pizzas and pies, and cakes, The Harvest Baker offers something for everyone.  I enjoyed the beautiful photographs and easy to follow recipes.  It is not often that I review a cookbook and know that I must add it to my library.  I found more than enough recipes, such as fresh mint brownies and mushroom, spinach, and blue cheese-stuffed baguettes, to make it worth the purchase.

The Tell-Tale Tarte by Maya Corrigan is the fourth book in the Five-Ingredient Mystery series.  Val has her hands full with catering, running a cafe, and writing her grandfather's cookbook.  When someone dressed exactly likely her grandfather dies mysteriously, she gets pulled into the mystery.  The story has several subplots and includes many references to Edgar Allen Poe.  I enjoyed the slight creepiness to this book as well.

Lee Hollis' Death of a Lobster Lover is part of the Hayley Powell Mystery series.  Hayley heads off with her best friends, Liddy and Mona, on a girls' weekend getaway.  They find themselves harassed by the local sheriff and in the middle of a murder mystery when Liddy's love interested is found strangled.  I have read previous books in this series although I do not think it is necessary.  I enjoyed the mystery with the twists and turns.  I almost quit reading the book at the very beginning due to Hayley's friends.  In the previous books I read, they were barely mentioned.  This time they were front and center and seemed to be the two most annoying people on the planet.  Liddy is obsessed with her material possessions, and Mona is easily the rudest person ever.  Fortunately Hayley is a wonderful character so I stuck with the book until the end.  As long as Liddy and Mona have bit parts, I will continue to read the series.  This book is just not one of my favorites.

disclosure:  I received these e-books from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: