Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Saved by a Friend & a Recipe

You might remember my post late last year about my cookbook addiction.  I have been really good since then and have not purchased a cookbook.  One of my friends was reading about my love of cookbooks.  She was kind enough to send me a navy cookbook.


I love this type of cookbooks.  They are a collection of recipes from regular home cooks.  These are not just any recipes.  They are the best loved recipes of these cooks.  I can always find at least one new recipe to try.  I also love seeing that someone else's favorite recipe is mine too.  In this book a squash casserole was nearly identical to the one my family has used for three generations. I am sharing my family's recipe with you.


Squash Casserole

Ingredients:
Salt (to taste)
2 lb squash, cooked and drained (or frozen squash thawed and drained)
1 carrot, grated
1 onion, grated
1 cup sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt)
1 can cream or chicken soup (or homemade equivalent)
1 stick butter, softened
Breadcrumbs (panko or homemade)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 casserole dish.  Combine the first seven ingredients in a large bowl.  Pour the squash mixture into the prepared dish.  Top with breadcrumbs.  The amount of breadcrumbs is up to you, but you want to at least lightly cover the squash mixture.  Bake for 30-40 minutes or until bubbly. 

The squash mixture also freezes very well.  Just thaw it, top with breadcrumbs, and bake.

No comments: