Monday, March 21, 2016

Weekly Savings

W and I found milk discounted at the grocery store.  We purchased several gallons to freeze as the price was cheaper than the normal sale price.

I discovered more volunteer plants coming up in the garden.  I will transplant these to other areas as they get bigger.

I repainted the pots from last week's post.  I was concerned that the paint would not completely cover all of the black and bright purple.  The spray paint I bought included primer along with the paint, and the pots turned out great.


I made a real effort to eat up all of the leftovers.  We cleaned out the fridge of any extras.  I added a bit of water to help get the last bit of barbecue sauce out of the jar.

I took cuttings from a fig tree and sour pomegranate tree in hopes of having some new plants.  I also took a couple of cuttings from the pineapple sage plants.

We had used up all of the dried chives I had purchased at Sam's Club.  Rather than buying more I have been cutting garlic chives from the garden to use.

I took advantage of a free shipping offer to order a few more garden seeds.  These are harder to find seeds from a company I like but do not order from often.  Free shipping made it affordable to place an order.




5 comments:

terricheney said...

The pot you painted looks great! I'd never have known what it was formerly if I hadn't seen the befores.

Dawn, do you know there is an ad that overfills the page and partially covers your post? It says "Do You Like Free Stuff?"...I don't know if you can remove it or adjust the size but thought it worth mentioning for your readers.

Dawn said...

I did not know that. Thank you for the heads up. It took me forever to figure out how it got there. Somehow it was imbedded in the Swagbucks link. Removing that got rid of it.

Ava said...

I have what is probably a silly question about freezing milk. My husband says his mother always bought milk and froze it, but the times I've done so (I don't do anything special, just toss it in the freezer) it sours almost immediately when defrosted. What am I doing wrong?

terricheney said...

Avalon, I freeze milk all of the time just as Dawn does and it never ever sours. I do not let it thaw completely at room temperature but put just partially and then set it in the fridge. It wants a good shaking to help mix up the fat with the milk once more but it does very well.

Ava said...

I've been away from my computer for a few days and just saw Terri's reply as well as the blog post Dawn devoted to my question - thank you both! I'll try your suggestions. :-D