Sunday, March 20, 2016

Weekend Book Review: A Trio of Cozy Mysteries

I am combining a few reviews again this week.  All three are new to me authors and series.




Murder on a Silver Platter by Shawn Reilly Simmons introduces readers to Penelope, owner of Red Carpet Catering.  Penelope is personal chef and friend to Arlena, a Hollywood actress.  Penelope is the caterer on a movie staring Arlena.  While out searching for Arlena's missing dog, Penelope stumbles onto a dead body.  Soon Arlena becomes a target for the murderer, and Penelope is in the middle of the mystery.  While Hollywood stars area important supporting characters, they are not the crazy characters we are used to in real life.  Penelope shines as the main character.  This book was an easy read but included several twists to keep me interested until the end!


Fogged Inn by Barbara Ross is book four in the Maine Clambake Series.  Even though I started in the middle of the series, I had no trouble being drawn in by the characters and the story.  Julia and Chris (her boyfriend) run Gus' Too, the evening portion of a local restaurant.  One particularly nasty evening brings four couples to the restaurant and an accident down the road keeps them there longer than expected.  The next morning Gus, owner and daytime proprietor, finds a dead body in the walk in refrigerator.

Julia is immediately pulled into the mystery which spreads farther the more she investigates.  The mystery kept me guessing until the end.  The descriptions of the characters and scenery really drew me in.  I felt like I was visiting friends.  This book alone makes me want to read the rest of the series.


I was first attracted to A Muddied Murder by Wendy Tyson due to the fact the series was titled Greenhouse Mysteries.  I love everything gardening and with the addition of a cozy mystery I could not resist.  I was not disappointed in the book at all.  

Megan lives with Bibi, her grandmother, and is working to bring an organic farm and cafe to her small town of Winsome.  Some suspicious activity on her farm and the discovery of a dead body, which happens to be the man trying to put a halt to her plans, means Megan is caught in the middle.  Megan's dreams are in danger of falling apart.  I loved the back story of the farm and cafe.  I look forward to more from Ms. Tyson and the greenhouse series.

disclosure:  I received these e-books from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for this review.  All opinions are my own!

1 comment:

Helena said...

Cool! Not heard of these so may buy!!!