Sunday, March 27, 2016

Weekend Book Reviews

This is an end of the month wrap up on book reviews. I have been making an effort to read more so I have several reviews to share with you today.

Shards of Glass by Cheryl Hollon:  I loved the characters and the background story of glass making.  My problem with this book is that I figured out who the killer was at barely one-fourth of the way through.  I read until the end hoping that there was a twist.  As much as I enjoyed the book, I like to be kept in suspense.  This is one area that the book was lacking.

Murder Most Wholesome by Staci McLaughlin:  This was a fun cozy mystery.  I enjoyed the setting at the O'Connell Organic Farm and Spa.  As a serious gardener it was fun to immerse myself into the world of an organic farm and the farmer's market.  Dana works at the organic farm and is pushed outside of her comfort zone when friend, Zennia, discovers a body in her garden.  Dana is now responsible for cooking duties at the farm and takes side trips to the local commune in an attempt to solve the mystery and get Zennia back in the kitchen.

The Skeleton Garden by Marty Wingate:  I adored this book.  It reminded me so much of the British show "Rosemary and Thyme".  Pru is a Texas native getting to know her brother Simon while restoring an English garden.  Two bodies murdered decades apart put Pru right in the middle of the mystery.  The plot is not fast paced, but I loved all of the side characters, garden discussion, and sub-plots.  It is one of my favorite recent reads!

A Clue in the Stew by Connie Archer:  Lucky Jamieson is the owner of a soup shop called By the Spoonful.  Her tiny town is thrown into a tizzy when a famous author plans a book signing.  The author's entourage is a crazy cast of characters who are front and center of the investigation when the author is found murdered.  Lucky must figure out how that murder ties in with an earlier one and help keep a friend from being wrongfully accused.  The one drawback is the newest waitress at the soup shop.  She was downright annoying, and I found it hard to believe anyone would put up with her as long as Lucky did.  Aside from that one thing, the book was very enjoyable.

disclosure:  I received these e-books from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: