Thursday, January 5, 2017

New Recipe Challenge - Marinara Sauce

The Frugal Girl put out a challenge to try one new recipe a week.  With all of the cookbooks I have (not counting the pins and magazines), I definitely need to do this.  The first recipe I tried is a crockpot marinara sauce from Mom on a Mission.  I have made small batches of marinara sauce.  This one was very easy.  I opted to add in some extra veggies.  I had zucchini in the freezer and mushrooms and bell pepper in the refrigerator.


I added everything into the crockpot and let it cook as directed.  I did leave it in the refrigerator overnight where it thickened up nicely.  I used this in the spaghetti pies I made earlier in the week and had three bags to add to the freezer.  This was so much better than bottled sauce.  It was a bit of work up front but worth it in the end. I will use this recipe again and again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love making my own spaghetti sauce, especially when I have lots of canned tomatoes from my garden. I also add every vegetable under the sun--mushrooms, peppers, celery, onion--whatever I've got. Because I did not can last summer, I am running a little low on those, so I am using more jars of sauce from the store. It's not the same, but we are making out. I'm glad yours turned out so well.