Saturday, January 21, 2017

Weekend Book Reviews

River City Dead by Nancy G West is book four in the Aggie Mundeen Mystery series.  Aggie and her boyfriend, police detective Sam, have planned a getaway during Fiesta week in San Antonio.  The plans come crashing down when a body is discovered in their hotel penthouse suite.  Aggie pushing aside Sam's warnings and tries to solve the crime herself.  I have not read any of the prior books but did not feel lost.  However, I felt the book was average at best.  The mystery was okay, but the writing felt choppy and not at all smooth.  I could never connect to the characters and found Aggie to be a bit annoying.  At times I wondered what Sam saw in her, which is not good as she was the "star" of the book.  The book is fine if you are looking for something extra light.  I do not list it as one of my preferred series though.

Time Out by Suzanne Trauth is book two in the Dodie O'Dell Mystery series.  I had not read the first book, but I was not at all lost.  The book focuses on Dodie who is the manager of a restaurant and on the Etonville Little Theater.  Dodie plans a food festival with a menu to go along with the theater's play - Arsenic and Old Lace.  Unfortunately while at the festival, the play's director dies.  Even though none of the signs point to the food, the town is wary of returning to the restaurant.  Dodie must solve the mystery to save the restaurant.  The characters are fun and definitely remind me of small town people.  I did find the book to be a bit rambling as there were several sub-plots.  I think the series has potential for growth.  I will definitely read more in this series!

Dumpster Dicing by Julie B Cosgrove is book one in the Bunco Biddies series.  Janie and Betsy Ann live in Sunset Acres, a retirement community.  While out on their morning job, they see body parts in one of the dumpsters as it is being emptied.  The ladies and their friends decide to solve the mystery at Janie's urging.  I loved this book.  The ladies were so much fun.  The description of the retirement community made me wish that I lived there.  This is easily one of the best cozy mysteries I have read lately.  The books do have a religious undertone.  I liked it, but it may not appeal to all readers.  I look forward to more from this series!

disclosure:  I received these e-books from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!


No comments: