Thursday, January 5, 2017

Pantry Challenge Day 8

Meals first and then I will give the totals for the weekly grocery shopping trip.

Breakfast for me was a bottle of Boost.  W skipped breakfast.

Dinner was a bit early due to the sad breakfast.  I heated up the leftover pork from last night's supper and served it over baked potatoes with cheese and sour cream.  We had salads to round out the meal.

Supper was a taco bake.  I placed lightly crushed tortilla chips in a pie pan and topped it with taco seasoned meat/lentils, taco sauce, and cheese.  I served this with a cheese dip and tortillas.  We had fruit for dessert.


Now for the grocery shopping.  I bought lentils, lima beans, rice, cereal (6 boxes), pepperoni, pomegranate juice, cheese, popcorn, milk, and yogurt.  I spent $20.54 this week.
I had coupons for the cereal, cheese and pepperoni.  I plan to use the milk and yogurt to make my own yogurt.  Thanks Terri at Blue House Journal for the encouragement to make my own yogurt again.  The lentils were used to stretch my taco meat for more than one meal.  The pomegranate juice will go into my homemade herbal tea blend.  I was under my $25 wishful budget and will call this week a win.

1 comment:

terricheney said...

I remembered the homemade yogurt tasted good but I disliked the long length of time in heating in the crockpot. I used stove top this time and it still took about an hour from start to finish and of course, I had to watch it more closely and stir often. But it did thicken up beautifully when it had incubated. And I read that it will last a month unopened. That encouraged me to attempt it. Of course, I've eaten nearly a pint this week along so it might not need to last a month, lol.