Sunday, January 8, 2017

Weekend Book Reviews

Towhee Get Your Gun by JR Ripley is book two in the Bird Lover's Mystery series.  Amy, the owner of Birds & Bees, is back and finds herself roped into a local production of Annie Get Your Gun.  The accidents at the theater keep escalating until someone winds up dead.  Amy must find the murderer and save the production.  This is not an easy task since she also has a store to run while fighting to keep the town from demolishing her shop/home and rescuing a towhee.  Not sure what a towhee is?  Click here to see one.  A bonus of this book is the bit of bird knowledge.  I enjoyed this book as much as the first, but it can easily stand on its own.  The mystery was good and the characters continue to entertain.  I look forward to more from this series.

Fudge and Jury by Ellie Alexander is book five in the Bakeshop Mystery series.  This book does stand on its own although not as well as it might have.  I was not lost, but I felt a bit was missing.  Juliet and her mom run Torte, a bakeshop in Oregon.  They are in the midst of a remodel and also dealing with the annual chocolate festival which this year includes a murder.  I enjoyed the setting of the series and also the characters.  The author tended to ramble however which took away from the flow of the story.  Overall it was interesting, and I would read more from this series.

disclosure:  I received these e-books from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: